Tsuchihata

土畑鉱山跡

古くから多くの鉱山が栄えた県西部の旧湯田町において、地域最後の鉱山として銅鉱の産出を続けました。 開発の歴史は 1900 年(明治 33 年)の地元村民 照井岩次郎による畑平での露頭発見に始まり、同年に仙北郡の福田久右衛門が金銀鉱の試掘を出願します。 翌年に開始された搗鉱製錬は採算性に乏しく、短期間の操業に留まりました。 次いで、東京の実業家 濱本義顕らが 1903 年(明治 36 年)に湯川金山合名会社を設立し、搗鉱法と青化法を併用して製錬を行います。 しかし、収益性の欠如から操業は休止を余儀なくされました。 その後、第一次大戦に際して銅価が高騰する中、1915 年(大正 4 年)に地元村民 高橋謙一郎が旧坑に銅鉱を発見し、土畑鉱山と改めて売鉱を行います。 この翌年に田中鉱業(後の糸平興産)が鉱山を譲り受けて開発に取り組み、土畑は発展に向かうこととなります。 索道の架設や削岩機の導入が進められた他、1924 年(大正 13 年)に国内初となる全泥浮遊選鉱場が完成し、生産は大幅な増加を見せました。 1929 年(昭和 4 年)の鉱夫数は 558 名を数え、生産量は粗鉱 132,786 t、銅精鉱 17,407 t と最大に達して最盛期を築きます。 さらに、1933 年(昭和 8 年)から上野々鉱床の開発が進められ、その後五年間の粗鉱量は年間 20 万 t を超えて推移しました。 終戦後に低迷を続けた生産は 1950 年(昭和 25 年)の翁沢、甲子鉱山の買収によって次第に回復し、設備の増強を重ねて昭和中期に再興されます。 隣接する湯川は温泉が湧出する鉱山町として繁栄し、社宅や浴場、講堂、体育館、購買所、小学校などが並び、従業員とその家族を含む 3,000 人ほどが生活を営みました。 資源の枯渇を受けて 1976 年(昭和 51 年)に閉山を迎えますが、その後も坑廃水処理とともに沈殿銅の採取が継続されます。 山腹には当時の選鉱場跡が今も残ります。

1976 年閉山

Tsuchihata Mine

The mine produced copper ore as the last one of former Yuda Town, where many mines prospered in the past. The discovery of an outcrop was made by Iwajiro Terui, a local villager, at Hatabira in 1900. The same year, Kyuemon Fukuda in Senboku County applied for an exploration permit for gold and silver ores and began gold extraction with the amalgamation process the following year. However, the operations were unprofitable, and the mine was abandoned later. Subsequently, in 1903, Yoshiaki Hamamoto, a businessman in Tokyo, and others established Yugawa Gold Mine General Partnership to operate the mine. Despite beginning gold extraction with the amalgamation and cyanide processes, the results were poor, and the mine was later abandoned again. In the early 20th century, the First World War caused a rise in demand for copper. Under such circumstances, Ken-ichiro Takahashi, a local villager, discovered copper ore in old workings in 1915 and began mining operations. The mine was renamed Tsuchihata Mine, and mined ore was sold to others. The following year, Tanaka Mining Co., Ltd., later Itohei Corporation, acquired the mine and commenced mine development including the construction of aerial cableways and the use of rock drills. The construction of a new beneficiation plant with the all-sliming process in 1924, which became the first in the country, especially led to an increase in production. In 1929, the mine produced 132,786 tonnes of crude ore and 17,407 tonnes of refined copper ore and had 558 miners. Furthermore, due to the development of new ore deposits at Uenono in 1933, the crude ore production exceeded 200,000 tonnes per year for five years. After the war, the company purchased Kacchi Mine and Okinasawa Mine in 1950, which led to the recovery of declining production. The mine repeatedly expanded its equipment and prospered again from the late 1950s. A mining town was built in Yugawa, where a spring wells up, and had a population of about 3,000 comprising employees and their families. The town had many welfare facilities, including houses for employees, company bathhouses, a lecture hall, a gymnasium, a shop, and an elementary school. Although the mine closed due to depletion of resources in 1976, wastewater treatment and the recovery of cement copper have been continuing. The remains of the beneficiation plant still stand on the mountainside.

closure in 1976

岩手県和賀郡西和賀町
銅、金、銀、亜鉛、硫化鉄

Nishi-Waga Town, Waga County, Iwate
copper, gold, silver, zinc, iron sulfide

主要鉱床は名称の由来となる畑平と白土に上野々を加えた三鉱床からなり、銅鉱の採掘とともに沈殿銅の採取が行われました。 畑平の選鉱場と搬出拠点の横黒線(後の北上線)陸中川尻駅との間には全長 2,909 m の馬鉄軌道が敷設され、冬季輸送に備えて索道が並行して架設されます。 上野々から選鉱場への送鉱には全長 1,662 m の索道が用いられ、1966 年(昭和 41 年)にトラック輸送に切り替えられました。 これに伴い、畑平では麓から選鉱場上部にかけて長さ 250 m ほどの送鉱円筒ベルトコンベアが備えられます。 田中鉱業は土畑を操業する傍ら、1921 年(大正 10 年)に鷲之巣鉱山を譲り受け、後に鷲之巣事業所を開設します。 1939 年(昭和 14 年)に新設された鷲之巣選鉱場では風倉、赤倉、本仁王、甲子鉱床の鉱石が処理されました。

Tsuchihata Mine derives its name from its ore deposits, namely, Hatabira and Shirotsuchi. Additionally, the mine had several ore deposits such as Uenono and produced cement copper from wastewater as well as copper ore. The company constructed aerial cableways to operate during the snow season between the beneficiation plant at Hatabira and Rikuchu-Kawajiri Station on the Okoku Line, later the Kitakami Line, in parallel with a horse-drawn railway spanning 2,909 meters in length. In addition, an aerial cableway with a length of 1,662 meters was constructed between Uenono and the beneficiation plant, transporting ore to the plant. In 1966, the transportation method switched from the aerial cableway to trucks, and a pipe conveyor with a length of about 250 meters connected the base of Hatabira to the top of the plant. Tanaka Mining Co. purchased Washinosu Mine in 1921 and established Washinosu Mining Station later. Washinoshu Beneficiation Plant, built in 1939, processed ore mined at Kazakura, Akakura, Honniou, and Kacchi deposits.

畑平地区
Hatabira area

空中写真-畑平-1976年 空中写真-畑平-1976年
© 国土地理院

1976 年(昭和 51 年)当時
At the time of 1976

空中写真-畑平-1987年 空中写真-畑平-1987年
© 国土地理院

1987 年(昭和 62 年)当時
At the time of 1987

空中写真-畑平-現在 空中写真-畑平-現在
© Google

現在の様子
The present state

湯川地区
Yugawa area

空中写真-湯川-1976年 空中写真-湯川-1976年
© 国土地理院

1976 年(昭和 51 年)当時
At the time of 1976

空中写真-湯川-1987年 空中写真-湯川-1987年
© 国土地理院

1987 年(昭和 62 年)当時
At the time of 1987

空中写真-湯川-現在 空中写真-湯川-現在
© Google

現在の様子
The present state
土畑鉱山 土畑鉱山 土畑鉱山 土畑鉱山 土畑鉱山-選鉱場 土畑鉱山-選鉱場 土畑鉱山 土畑鉱山 土畑鉱山

Photographed in 2004
Printed in 2007