Takatama

高玉鉱山跡

安土桃山期の初頭 1573 年(天正元年)会津領主 蘆名盛興により金山として開かれ、後の領主 蒲生氏郷が開発を引き継ぎます。 この時代、商工業の発展や軍備の拡張に伴う貨幣需要の増加から、各地の領主は金、銀、銅山の開発を奨励しました。 江戸期は二本松領最大の鉱山として金山奉行が置かれますが、貞享年間より衰退へと向かいます。 明治期に入ると政府は国内全ての鉱物を官有化して借区制を敷き、国内の鉱業を独占しました。 1886 年(明治 19 年)長崎の松浦健二は借区を受けて旧鉱滓の再製錬を行い、旧坑を再開して探鉱を進めます。 1890 年(明治 23 年)東京の実業家 肥田昭作らが事業を継承し、明治末期より日立製錬所への売鉱に転じました。 その後、1918 年(大正 7 年)の久原鉱業(後の日本鉱業)による鉱山買収を契機に索道や製錬所の建設が進められ、高玉は近代化の道を歩むこととなります。 1939 年(昭和 14 年)の製錬所増設を経て、最盛期には 1,400 名の雇用を抱え、年間粗鉱量 14 万 t、金量 1 t、銀量 10 t を生産して日本三大金山の一つとして数えられるまでに発展しました。 1943 年(昭和 18 年)に軍需政策として制定された金山整備令を受けて製錬操業の休止を余儀なくされますが、含金珪酸鉱として日立鉱山への送鉱を続けます。 二年後に操業が再開されますが、企業整備のために 1952 年(昭和 27 年)から三年間にわたって再び操業が休止されました。 その後、1962 年(昭和 37 年)に鉱業所を分離して設立された高玉鉱山株式会社が事業を引き継ぎますが、後に鉱量の枯渇を受けて閉山を迎えることとなります。 日本鉱業による経営のもと、粗鉱量 280 万 t、金量 28 t、銀量 280 t が生産され、発見された鉱脈は 1,460 条、坑道の総延長は 600 km に及びました。 主要鉱床群の一つである本山には昭和初期に建造された製錬所跡が今も残ります。

1976 年閉山

Takatama Mine

According to tradition, the gold mine was opened by Morioki Ashina, a feudal lord of the Aizu Domain, in 1573. Subsequently, Ujisato Gamo, later a feudal lord of the domain, took over the development. In this period, monetary demand increased due to the expansion of armaments in addition to the development of commerce and industry. Accordingly, the feudal lord of each domain promoted the development of gold, silver, and copper mines. In the 17th century, the mine was the largest in the Nihonmatsu Domain and was under the control of "Kinzan Bugyo", the magistrate of gold mines. However, production at the mine decreased from the 1680s. In the Meiji period, all of the minerals in the country were nationalized in order to collect tax and fees through granting leasehold rights, and the government monopolized the domestic mining industry. Kenji Matsu-ura in Nagasaki acquired the rights in 1886 and resumed operations such as smelting of old slag and exploration. Afterwards, Shosaku Hida, a businessman in Tokyo, and others took over the operations in 1890 and sold mined ore to Hitachi Smelter from the early 20th century. In 1918, Kuhara Mining Co., Ltd., later Nippon Mining Co., Ltd., acquired the mine, leading to modernization, such as the construction of aerial cableways and a cyanide leaching plant, to the mine. After the expansion of the plant in 1939, the mine reached its peak. At the time, the mine employed 1,400 people and produced 140,000 tonnes of crude ore, one tonne of gold, and 10 tonnes of silver per year. As a result, the mine ranked as one of Japan's three largest gold mines. Although the formulation of the Policy on the Arrangement of the Gold Mining Industry caused suspension of the smelting operations in 1943, mined ore was sent to Hitachi Mine as gold-bearing silicate ore. The company separated Takatama Mining Station and transferred the management of the mine to newly formed Takatama Mining Co., Ltd. in 1962. However, the mine closed due to depletion of reserves later. Under the management of Nippon Mining Co., Ltd., the mine produced over 2.80 million tonnes of crude ore, 28 tonnes of gold, and 280 tonnes of silver. The number of discovered ore veins was 1,460, and the mine tunnels had a total length of 600 kilometers. The remains of the plant, built in the first half of the 20th century, can be found even now at Honzan.

closure in 1976

福島県郡山市熱海町高玉
金、銀

Takatama, Atami Town, Koriyama City, Fukushima
gold, silver

鉱床は北から鶯、本山、青木葉の三鉱床群が並び、中核をなす本山と麓に位置する磐越西線熱海駅(後の磐梯熱海駅)との間には約 5 km にわたって索道が架設されました。 600 条ほどの鉱脈が集中する本山には 1935 年(昭和 10 年)建造の青化製錬所をはじめ、選鉱場や鉱山事務所などが築かれました。 また本山、青木葉の両地区には鉱員住宅が並び、町や集落が形成されて賑わいを見せました。

The mine had three groups of ore deposits, namely, Uguisu, Honzan, and Aokiba, and they extended from the north. An aerial cableway with a length of five kilometers connected Honzan to Atami Station, later Bandai-Atami Station, on the Ban-Etsu West Line. Honzan had about 600 ore veins and mining facilities, such as a cyanide leaching plant built in 1935, a beneficiation plant, and a mining office. Mining settlements having many houses for miners were formed and flourished at Honzan and Aokiba.

本山地区
Honzan area

空中写真-本山-1948年 空中写真-本山-1948年
© 国土地理院

1948 年(昭和 23 年)当時
At the time of 1948

空中写真-本山-1975年 空中写真-本山-1975年
© 国土地理院

1975 年(昭和 50 年)当時
At the time of 1975

空中写真-本山_2011年 空中写真-本山_2011年
© 国土地理院

2011 年(平成 23 年)当時
At the time of 2011

青木葉地区
Aokiba area

空中写真-青木葉-1948年 空中写真-青木葉-1948年
© 国土地理院

1948 年(昭和 23 年)当時
At the time of 1948

空中写真-青木葉-1975年 空中写真-青木葉-1975年
© 国土地理院

1975 年(昭和 50 年)当時
At the time of 1975

空中写真-青木葉_2007年 空中写真-青木葉_2007年
© 国土地理院

2007 年(平成 19 年)当時
At the time of 2007
高玉鉱山-製錬所 高玉鉱山-製錬所 高玉鉱山-製錬所 高玉鉱山-製錬所 高玉鉱山-製錬所 高玉鉱山-製錬所-煙突 高玉鉱山 高玉鉱山 高玉鉱山-製錬所

Photographed in 2004
Printed in 2005