Hosokura

細倉鉱山跡

発見は平安期大同または貞観年間と伝えられ、安土桃山期の天正年間は銀山として稼行されました。 江戸期は仙台藩の所管のもとで鉛が生産され、元禄、文化文政、安政年間に隆盛します。 当時は採掘坑の数から三十三ヶ山と称され、生産された鉛の多くは銀の製錬に用いられました。 明治期に入ると政府は国内全ての鉱物を官有化し、15 年期限の借区制を設けます。 これを受けて近江商人 清水和兵衛は 1873 年(明治 6 年)に借区を受けて開発を試みました。 その後、愛知の資本家 杉本正徳は 1886 年(明治 19 年)に事業を譲り受け、近代技術の導入や竪坑の開削を進めて 1890 年(明治 23 年)に細倉鉱山会社を設立します。 五年後に鉛の生産額は国内首位を記録しますが、後に洪水被害を受けて経営は困窮しました。 東京の貿易商 高田商会は 1899 年(明治 32 年)に高田鉱山と称して事業を引き継ぎ、休山を経た後に亜鉛の電気製錬を成功させます。 大戦景気を受けて繁栄するものの、戦後恐慌や火災によって疲弊した経営は 1928 年(昭和 3 年)に共立鉱業に移りました。 1934 年(昭和 9 年)に事業を譲り受けた三菱鉱業は大規模開発を進め、高まる軍需を背景に生産を拡大させます。 1943 年(昭和 18 年)に 291,107 t の粗鉱を生産して繁栄を築きますが、二年後に空襲による被害を受けて操業停止を余儀なくされました。 終戦後は太平鉱業(後の三菱金属鉱業)のもとで高度経済成長とともに飛躍的な発展を遂げ、1965 年(昭和 40 年)には 606,492 t の粗鉱が生産されます。 後に最盛期を迎えるものの、1970 年代に入ると石油危機や世界的不況を受けて事業規模の縮小に迫られました。 1976 年(昭和 51 年)に鉱業所を分離して細倉鉱業を設立しますが、金属価格の低迷や円高の影響から後に閉山を迎えます。 広大な敷地には、当時の製錬所跡が今も残ります。

1987 年閉山

Hosokura Mine

According to legend, the mine was discovered in the 9th century and then produced silver in the late 16th century. Afterwards, lead mining flourished twice under the control of the Sendai Domain at the end of the 17th century and the first half of the 19th century. At the time, the mine had 33 mining sites, and produced lead was used for refining of silver and others. At the end of the 19th century, the Meiji government nationalized all of the minerals in the country and granted permission for contractors to mine in leasehold areas for 15 years. Thereupon, Wahe Shimizu, an Omi merchant, acquired leasehold rights in 1873 and began the development of the mine. Subsequently, Masanori Sugimoto, a capitalist in Aichi, took over the management in 1886. Sugimoto commenced the introduction of modern mining equipment and the construction of mining shafts and established Hosokura Mine Co., Ltd. in 1890. Although production of lead recorded the country's largest in 1895, the management declined later due to flood damage. In 1899, Takata Company, a trading company in Tokyo, acquired mining rights and renamed the mine Takata Mine. The company began electrolytic refining of zinc after a period of operational suspension. Then demand for zinc increased suddenly during the First World War, bringing a recovery in performance to the company. However, the management declined due to the recession after the war and a forest fire, which led to the transition of management to Kyoritsu Mining Co., Ltd. in 1928. In 1934, the mine came under the management of Mitsubishi Mining Company Ltd., and a large-scale mine development commenced. Although the mine produced 291,107 tonnes of crude ore under an increase in military demand in 1943, air raids caused an operational pause two years later. After the war, Taihei Mining Co., Ltd., later Mitsubishi Metal Mining Co., Ltd. took over the operations. The mine developed with rapid economic growth and produced 606,492 tonnes of crude ore in 1965. Additionally, the mine continued increasing in production and reached its peak later. However, the oil crisis and the recessions of the 1970s caused a reduction in the operational scale. The company separated Hosokura Mining Station and transferred the management of the mine to newly formed Hosokura Mining Co., Ltd. in 1976. Nevertheless, the mine closed due to a decline in the price of metals and the strong yen. The remains of a smelter still stand in the extensive grounds.

closure in 1987

宮城県栗原市鶯沢南郷荒町
鉛、亜鉛、硫化鉄、金、銀、銅

Nango-Aramachi, Uguisuzawa, Kurihara City, Miyagi
lead, zinc, iron sulfide, gold, silver, copper

鉱床は東西 6 km、南北 4 km ほどの範囲に広がり、鉱脈数は 160 条に上りました。 閉山までの粗鉱生産量は 2,300 万 t に及び、坑道の総延長は 600 km に達します。 戦時下の 1943 年(昭和 18 年)には 2,530 名の鉱員を抱え、鉱業所が位置する南郷地区では多くの集落が築かれて賑わいを見せました。 1942 年(昭和 17 年)には細倉鉱山駅が開設され、栗原鉄道(後の栗原電鉄)が貨物輸送を担います。 1987 年(昭和 62 年)の閉山に伴って亜鉛製錬部門は操業を休止した一方、鉛製錬部門は細倉製錬(後の細倉金属鉱業)として独立し、現在も操業を続けています。

The ore deposits consisted of over 160 ore veins and spread in an area of six kilometers from east to west and four kilometers from north to south. The mine produced 23 million tonnes of crude ore until its closure and had mine tunnels with a total length of 600 kilometers. The number of miners reached 2,530 in 1943 wartime, and many settlements were formed and prospered around the mining station in Nango area. Hosokura Mine Station opened with the purpose of transportation of products in 1942, and Kurihara Railway, later Kurihara Electric Railway, shipped products until mine closure. The zinc smelting department was shut down due to mine closure in 1987, while the lead smelting department was separated as Hosokura Smelting Co., Ltd., later Hosokura Metal Mining Co., Ltd., and has taken over the operations.

南郷荒町地区
Nango-Aramachi area

空中写真-南郷荒町-1976年
© 国土地理院

1976 年(昭和 51 年)当時
At the time of 1976

空中写真-南郷荒町_2009年
© 国土地理院

2009 年(平成 21 年)当時
At the time of 2009

南郷地区
Nango area

空中写真-南郷-1962年 空中写真-南郷-1962年
© 国土地理院

1962 年(昭和 37 年)当時
At the time of 1962

空中写真-南郷-1987年 空中写真-南郷-1987年
© 国土地理院

1987 年(昭和 62 年)当時
At the time of 1987

空中写真-南郷_2011年 空中写真-南郷_2011年
© 国土地理院

2011 年(平成 23 年)当時
At the time of 2011
細倉鉱山 細倉鉱山-製錬所 細倉鉱山

Photographed in 2004
Printed in 2017 / 2018